maandag, augustus 13, 2007

*** Objectives ***

Objectives by 31/12/2007 (previous off-season short term goals)
General Strength:
Conventional Deadlift 90 kg 5RM (current 5RM 75 kg) Maintaining OK
Turkish Getup 32 kg 5RM (to maintain pressing ability, but TGU alone seems not sufficient for hard hitting) Must do more
Double 24 kg KB Clean & Jerk 5x5 (current unknown, jerks better during season as heavy presses seem to aggravate my shoulders during hitting. Overhead better during season than weighted pushups/floor presses I believe) Must do more

Specific Strength:
KB Pullovers 32 kg 5RM (current 24 kg)
SN/OHSQ 24 kg KB 10/3
Crush Curl 24 kg KB 5RM (current unknown)


Plan
In-season, maintain strength (Deads, Presses trough TGU and C&J) at least twice a week. alternate Strength and quick lift cycles with back-off weeks and targetted tapers.

Off-season, alternate strength cycles with strength-endurance, maintain running and cals (GTG Dips, Pullups, Pistols) and swing the summer away :D.

"Get stronger in the squat or front squat in the offseason, then work some jumping as the season gets close", Powerlifter54

"Workup your weight on the KB's ASAP in the swing,snatch and cleans! (...) start adding glute-ham raises and stiff legged deadlift and pistols! ", HHS

"For increased vertical (...) an athlete who swore by snatch-grip deadlifts from a platform and with chains. Lots of extra depth and compensatory acceleration there", ScrawnyPhil

"When I first started DLing my sprint speed increased, it wasn't until I started squatting did my vert increase. When my squat goes up, my vert tends to follow, particularly if I'm doing speed squats at the time", Curt McDonald


Update 11/10:
Strength & Conditioning for volleyball:

a) Deadlifts on a regular basis seem to make my recover faster, make me root better and therefore improve my reception and defense considerably. Additionally, it provides a general strength base for using heavier kettlebells: I feel the shrugs protect my shoulders during volleyball hits and made my hands much stronger, so that I can handle the 24 kg on a regular basis. Moreover, barbells prove again that they have the biggest correlation to playing better volleyball, IF I am conscious about recovery/tapers.
b) Snatches for reps, considerably make my volley hits much harder
c) Presses make me hit much harder and make my block better
d) Weighted abs like TGU, Pullover/TGU Situp combo's, side bands etc make my abs more pronounced and make me hit and throw harder. Also help me with body composition (easier for me to maintain weight or shed fat).
e) Squats seem to improve my speed and jump, but going a bit heavy makes my knees ache. Therefore, I think I need to make squats a staple, but then with medium to low weights e.g. 10 kg bakcpack squats, 30 to 40 kg BB FSQ.
f) Double C&J make me feel very athletic and especially seem to make me very fast. They are also excellent good sized loads for back off sets for deadlifts
g) Interval Running once a week, combining with cals also worked like a charm when working in Paris almost two years ago!

I am determined to maintain my general strength on sun/tue or mon/wed with Deads, Squats, TGU to maintain my presses and abwork. Pressing itself with easy weights to save the shoulders.

Sport specifically, my program minimum maintenance for volleyball is Deadlifts, Snatches and Presses two times a week.

Tip: Moreover, it seems the combination of double and single kettlebell drills is an exellent athletic preparation. Also see this article here: Swing the summer!

Idea's: more easier but good sized back off sets (even with GTG), Hack Squats, Lunges, Toe Raises, Bodyweight cals i.e. maintain pullup ability, ...

"Along with box squats, deadlifts are the single-most effective movement for training the posterior chain (glutes, hamstrings,adductor magnus, and lumbar erectors)"

Geen opmerkingen: